We all know driving can, unfortunately, be a hazardous task. When large trucks become involved, however, that risk is compounded significantly. Operating mammoth vehicles such as these requires an even greater degree of alertness and road safety practices need to be monitored even more closely than usual. Even short trips on desolate highways can quickly turn dangerous if 18-wheelers barreling down the pavement at high speeds don’t exhibit the utmost caution.
It’s important that both drivers of cars and large trucks understand how to protect one another on the roads, and it pays dividends to always approach driving with the ability to stop quickly and take extra precaution around these imposing behemoths. Continue reading to learn 10 tips for keeping safe on the road around large trucks: from understanding how truck drivers think to being aware of blind spots and leaving plenty of space between you and large vehicles.
How to Avoid Large Truck Accidents on the Road
Driving can be a dangerous activity, and large trucks present an even greater risk on the roads. Sharing the road with large commercial vehicles is unavoidable, but there are steps you can take to help increase your safety when driving around large trucks. Whether driver or trucker, following these 10 tips can help you avoid large truck accidents on the roadways:
1. Stay visible: Large truck drivers have large blind spots and not all truck drivers account for this, so it’s important to make sure you stay in their line of sight when driving around large trucks as much as you can.
2. Pay attention to the speed limit: It is a good idea to stick to the posted speed limit when driving around large trucks, since these vehicles take much longer than cars to stop and turn. This also helps other drivers on the road better anticipate your movements, reducing the chances of an accident.
3. Leave plenty of space: Give big trucks extra room while they are turning or changing lanes if you can. This can be difficult to do in heavy traffic, so if you find yourself stuck behind a large truck, pass it as quickly as possible once you have the chance using appropriate signals.
4. Pass with caution: Make sure there is plenty of time and space before attempting to pass huge trucks. Think about what would happen if the large truck driver suddenly wants to change lanes and does not appropriately use his or her mirrors first, and make sure you’re able to stop or slow down safely before passing large vehicles if possible.
5. Don’t tailgate: Follow large trucks at a safe distance and avoid tailgating them at all costs. If a large truck is going slower than the posted speed limit, don’t try to push them out of your way with your car.
6. Be aware of large truck blind spots: When driving around large trucks, be aware of the zones on either side and directly behind them where they cannot see other vehicles. Make sure to keep your distance from these areas and signal clearly when changing lanes or passing large trucks to reduce the chances of an accident. Not all truck drivers use their mirrors appropriately.
7. Don’t cut large truck drivers off: Cutting off large truck drivers can be dangerous for both you and the large truck driver, so make sure you give them plenty of warning before you switch lanes in front of them.
8. Respect turn signals: Big trucks have large turning radiuses, so it is important not to attempt to pass large trucks when they are turning. Make sure to respect large truck drivers’ turn signals and wait until they have finished their turn before attempting to pass them.
9. Keep your eyes on the road: Large trucks take longer than standard vehicles and smaller trucks to stop and react, so it is important to pay attention when driving around large trucks. Avoid distractions such as texting or talking on the phone while driving near large trucks and keep your eyes focused on the road at all times.
10. Call a truck accident lawyer if you get into an accident: If you or someone you love has been injured in a large truck accident, contact a knowledgeable Indiana truck accident lawyer immediately for legal advice and assistance with filing a claim. An experienced attorney can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
How to Protect Yourself After a Large Truck Accident
Following these tips can help keep you safe when driving around large trucks. However, if you or someone you love is injured in a large truck accident, contact an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible for legal advice and assistance. With their help, you can ensure that your rights are protected and that the responsible parties are held accountable for their actions.
Are you looking for an experienced civil litigation law firm to help you determine the best legal strategy to take after your large truck accident in Indiana? Contact Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to schedule a free case evaluation with a seasoned truck accident lawyer in Indianapolis, Indiana. We represent clients throughout the state, plus Indiana residents injured in other states. With our contingency-fee arrangement, you don’t pay a dime unless we recover an award for you.
Who Do I Sue After Being Injured By a Semi-Truck?
Recurrent Types of Commercial Trucker Safety Violations
Top Causes of Large Truck Accidents in the United States