What Type of Doctor Do I See After a Personal Injury?

Being injured in a serious accident is a shocking time in a person’s life. So naturally, injured victims are often overwhelmed with fears, anxieties, questions, and uncertainties. This confusion is quite normal, but can be mollified with the help of a seasoned personal injury lawyer. They can help you understand which course of action is best for your situation, including recovering compensation for your resulting damages. The very first step to take after being injured in an accident is to obtain medical attention for your injuries.

But many victims are not sure which type of doctor to see. Should they visit the emergency room and see an ER doctor? What if their injuries appear days later? Who do they see then? These are important questions to ask yourself as a victim of a personal injury accident.

Continue reading to learn what you need to know about finding and receiving medical care after sustaining serious injuries as a result of another’s negligence.

Personal Injury Attorney Law Firm 317-881-2700
Personal Injury Attorney Law Firm 317-881-2700

Medical Care for Personal Injuries

There are various fields of medicine, and therefore, various kinds of doctors. Some doctors specialize in certain areas of the medical field, while others practice generally. The type of doctor you need to see after sustaining injuries in a serious accident will depend on a few factors, including when your accident takes place, where it takes place, and when your injuries are apparent to you.

Instant Injury

In emergency situations in which an injury occurs instantly, such as broken bones, 3rd degree burns, or serious lacerations, it is common to go to the emergency room and be seen by a licensed ER doctor and their medical team. You would likely be transported by ambulance, or have someone drive you to the emergency room at the nearest hospital.

Onset of Injury

In the case that you experience an onset of injuries, meaning your injuries are not apparent right away, but appear and worsen days, weeks, or months later, you must see a doctor on your own. If the injury is serious, go to the emergency room. But if you are not sure of the extent of severity, you can start by contacting your primary care physician, or family doctor.

A general practice doctor can give you an initial medical assessment consisting of some basic checks like blood pressure, temperature, mobility, blood work, and even x-rays. From there, they can refer you to a specialist to address your injuries more specifically, such as back injuries, head injuries, and orthopedic injuries. These doctors will likely order more tests, such as MRIs, CAT scans, and more. Afterwards, you will need to obtain follow-up care, which your specialist or PCP will arrange for you. You may even be referred to mental health services from a licensed counselor, psychologist, or psychiatrist.

Have more questions about the onset of injuries? See our blog, “Do Not Assume That You are Not Hurt After an Accident” to learn more. If you are still unsure about which doctor you should see regarding your injuries, it is helpful to contact a personal injury lawyer to assist you. They have the knowledge and experience to give you personalized advice for your unique case.

Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyers Who Can Help

Call The Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 for help filing a negligent action claim in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our seasoned accident lawyers, Daniel Craven, Ralph Hoover, and Keith Blazek, can help you recover the full and fair compensation you deserve after suffering a serious injury. We offer free initial consultations and never collect lawyer fees unless we prevail for you. Schedule your consultation before the statutes of limitations runs out on your claim.

Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyers 317-881-2700
Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyers 317-881-2700