Can I Receive Personal Injury Compensation Without Filing a Lawsuit?

In many personal injury cases, surviving victims will file a lawsuit to obtain compensation for their resulting damages.  There are many reasons for filing a lawsuit soon after a person is injured as a result of negligent conduct of another.  There are time limits set to make your injury claim or you lose your right to.  Filing a lawsuit also allows the attorney for the injured party to obtain evidence that they would not be able to obtain without filing a lawsuit.

However, suing is not the only legal recourse for recovering a personal injury settlement after a wrongful accident. Continue reading to learn three alternatives to suing for compensation after being injured in an accident that was not your fault.

Indianapolis Personal Injury Claim Lawyers 317-881-2700
Indianapolis Personal Injury Claim Lawyers 317-881-2700

Personal Injury Lawsuits

There are many reasons why a personal injury victim or survivor might wish to avoid a lawsuit. Perhaps they want to evade additional fees and expenses incurred in the legal process; or maybe they just don’t want to experience any level of legal contention or confrontation.

Regardless of why you are interested in the possible alternatives to suing for compensation after a wrongful accident, the most important focus should be choosing the approach that has the best chance of success for your specific case. In order to do this, you must consult with a seasoned Indiana personal injury lawyer.

Alternatives to Suing for Personal Injury Compensation

Filing a Claim

In cases of accidents with injuries, you may have the option to file a formal claim within the company or store responsible for your damages. They may have a claim-and-compensation procedure that is standard within their business model. You would simply fill out a form filing the claim and requesting compensation.  You should not do this without consulting an attorney and it is best to have the attorney do this on your behalf in any event.

For wrongful accidents that happen within government buildings, it is standard to file a government tort claim within the applicable agency. If the government agency denies your claim for compensation, you could then pursue legal action by filing a lawsuit.  To pursue a claim against a governmental agency, you must first file a tort claims notice in Indiana and there are very strict guidelines for what the tort claims notice must say and when it must be filed by so you should hire an attorney to do this.

Injuries that happen at work or on the clock while performing work-related duties are filed under a workers’ compensation claim. If the workers’ compensation claim is denied or inadequate, injured workers could take legal action by filing an Application for Adjustment of Claim with the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board.  Again, you should obtain an attorney as soon as possible after the injury occurs.

Request Compensation Through Your Own Insurance Carrier

You may have the option to contact your own insurance carrier and request compensation for things like medical expenses, hospital bills, and subsequent expenses that you are paying for out-of-pocket because of your accident if you had what is called medical payments coverage. Since the legal process of filing a lawsuit and receiving a settlement can take months or even years, it is quicker to get your medical bills paid by filing a claim with your own insurance company.  This will also keep your own medical providers from seeking payment for your medical services from you.

Your insurance company may provide you with compensation and then when you obtain a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance company, you would reimburse your own company. You should always hire an Indiana personal injury attorney to ensure that you are fully compensated for your damages and losses following a wrongful accident.

Your Attorney Can Send A Demand Letter

Another alternative to filing a lawsuit is to simply advise the defendant’s insurance company that you will be filing a lawsuit if a fair settlement cannot be reached.  It is best to hire a personal injury lawyer to write your demand letter and represent you even if you are not filing a lawsuit. Negotiations and compensation mediation can be complex even without a judge and jury, so it is imperative to have adept legal representation to ensure you receive the full and fair settlement you deserve for your damages and losses.

Are you looking for personal injury lawyer to represent you in a current accident case? Contact the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to schedule a free initial case evaluation for your personal injury claim in Indianapolis, Indiana. We represent injured persons and the loved ones following the wrongful death of a relative throughout the State of Indiana.

Related Posts:

How to Write a Legal Complaint for a Personal Injury Claim
Is it Expensive to Hire an Accident Attorney?
How to Obtain the Best Outcome for Your Personal Injury Lawsuit

Local Indianapolis Personal Injury Law Firm 317-881-2700
Schedule a Free Consultation!