Where Do I Make a Personal Injury Complaint in Indiana?

When you know you are not at-fault for a recent accident that caused you injuries and damages, you might be eager to obtain justice through an Indiana personal injury claim. Continue below to learn which court system you might file your personal injury lawsuit, plus where you can get trusted legal advice regarding your recent accident and injuries.

Indianapolis Personal Injury Claim Office 317-881-2700
Indianapolis Personal Injury Claim Office 317-881-2700

Common Factors That Influence Where You File an Injury Lawsuit

There are many factors that will ultimately determine which court system is the right fit for your personal injury complaint. Whether you file in small claims court or state civil court will be dependent on the location or jurisdiction of the accident site, scope of injury, extent of damages, and more.

Small Claims Court

Small claims court deals with just that: smaller level claims. They adjudicate cases that involve a lower level of damages and losses, or more plainly, the amount of compensation you are seeking for such damages and losses.  Although the set limit for small claims can differ among states, they typically range between $3,000 and $15,000.

There are some benefits to pursing a personal injury lawsuit through small claims court. The legal process is generally quicker, easier, and cheaper. However, small claims court is less formal and because damages in small claims court are capped, it is not the choice for serious cases, like wrongful deaths and similar catastrophic accidents or any case that is valued over the small claims limits.

Civil Court

Civil litigation allows civilians like yourself to seek financial justice after being wrongly victimized by another person or entity. In comparison to small claims court, civil court deals with personal injury cases that involve a higher level of damages and losses, and therefore, higher settlement demands and verdicts. Personal injury complaints that are requesting more than $15K in damages should be filed and adjudicated in the proper branch of the state’s civil court system.

Common cases include serious motor vehicle accidents, medical malpractice, serious slip and fall cases, brain injuries, wrongful deaths, and catastrophic accidents like falling from heights, chemical explosions, house fires, and plane crashes.

How to Get Started With Your Personal Injury Complaint

It is critical to the outcome of your case, namely the amount of compensation you are awarded, to hire a skilled and experienced Indiana personal injury law firm to manage your case. Your accident lawyer will navigate every step of your case from start to finish with the objective to obtain the maximum settlement or verdict for your claim. Trust your personal injury attorney to handle the unique needs of your case, including filing your complaint with the right court system and obtaining the evidence necessary for you to win your case.

Are you ready to schedule a free case evaluation with a seasoned personal injury lawyer who can help you understand the next best step in the legal process? Contact the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to get started, today. We represent victims all throughout the state of Indiana and Indiana residents injured in other states.

Related Posts:

4 Reasons Why You Should Not Represent Yourself in a Personal Injury Case
What You Can Expect From the Personal Injury Lawsuit Process
Will My Personal Injury Claim Take a Long Time?