No one ever expects to be in a motorcycle accident, but unfortunately, it happens. If you’ve been involved in an accident while riding your motorcycle, there are some essential steps that you should take afterward to protect yourself and ensure the best outcome possible. From contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer to getting medical attention and exchanging insurance information with other drivers involved and calling the police, here is what you need to do after being injured in a motorcycle accident.
How to Protect Yourself After Being Injured in a Motorcycle Accident
1. Get Medical Attention – The most important thing to do after a motorcycle accident is to get medical attention. Even if you don’t think you are seriously injured, it’s always better to have a doctor examine you and rule out any potential complications. This is especially true if you hit your head in the accident or if you’ve been knocked unconscious. You can have what is called “delayed onset”, which is what medical providers call it when symptoms arise days, weeks or even months following a traumatic event. It is always best to seek medical attention as soon as you feel any symptoms, even if you believe they are minor and think that they will just heal on their own without medical attention.
2. Call the Police and Exchange Insurance Information – You should always call the police no matter how bad you think the accident was or was not. The police will obtain most of the relevant information from the parties and will document what each person said in regard to how the incident happened. Some people do not tell the police the truth about what happened but some do so it is better to get what happened in writing from a police officer at the time the incident occurred so there is less of a chance that someone changes their story. If you did not call the police, it’s important to at a minimum exchange insurance information with the other driver. Make sure you get their full name and contact information, as well as the make and model of their vehicle and their license plate number. This will help the insurance company to process your claim more efficiently.
3. Contact a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer – It’s important to contact a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident, as they can help you navigate the legal complexities of filing a claim and ensure that you receive fair compensation for any injuries or damages. They can also help you fight for the maximum amount of compensation available.
4. Document Everything – Take as many photos as possible at the accident scene, the parties involved and keep a record of any medical treatments that you receive. This documentation will be helpful when filing and attempting to settle an insurance claim or going to court in the event of a trial.
5. Contact Your Insurance Company – Once you’ve received medical attention, it’s important to contact your own insurance company as soon as possible but you should always try to obtain an experienced attorney first.
Talk to a Motorcycle Accident Attorney ASAP
By following these essential steps after a motorcycle accident, you can help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve and protect yourself legally. If you’ve been injured in an accident, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer in Indianapolis as soon as possible to learn more about your rights and get the best outcome for your case.
Common Damages Awarded to Motorcycle Accident Victims
In motorcycle accidents, the most common damages awarded to injured victims are for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and permanent injuries. Medical expenses can include both the cost of current treatment and the projected cost of future treatment. Lost wages are calculated based on the victim’s earnings before the accident and how much work they were unable to do because of their injuries. Pain and suffering compensation is based on the victim’s pain and suffering both during recovery and into the future. Permanent injuries are based upon how the injuries negatively affect your quality of life in the future.
Have you been wrongfully injured in a motorcycle accident in Indiana? Take advantage of our free case evaluation to determine your eligibility for compensation and get started on the path toward justice. Contact the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to speak with a motorcycle injury lawyer in Indianapolis, Indiana. We also represent injured Hoosiers all across the state, and can meet via phone, video conference, or in-office.
Possible Damages Awarded in a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit
Facts About Confirming Fault in a Motorcycle Accident
FAQS About Motorcycle Accident Personal Injury Claims