Car accidents are a traumatic experience. The physical, emotional, and financial toll they take on wrongfully injured victims can be overwhelming. One of the most difficult aspects of navigating the aftermath of a negligent car accident is dealing with insurance companies. For this, car accident lawyers are experts in this field and you should hire your own attorney to ensure that interactions with insurers go smoothly and that your rights stay protected.
Continue reading to learn 8 tips for dealing with insurance companies after a car accident.
How to Navigate the Process of a Personal Injury Car Accident Claim
1. Gather Essential Documents: Collect all documents related to the car accident that you can, such as photos, insurance cards, and police reports. This information is essential when filing a claim with an insurer or filing a lawsuit. If you do not have the information at hand, don’t worry. Your attorney will help and gather documents and photos, police reports, 911 tapes and dash and body camera video.
2. Consult a Car Accident Lawyer: An experienced auto accident attorney will navigate the legal complexities associated with your car accident claim. Car accident litigators can ensure that you receive the most favorable outcome possible from an insurer.
3. Know Your Rights: Have your attorney familiarize you with insurance laws in your state so that you understand the rights you have as an insured party. Knowing your rights will enable you to make more informed decisions when dealing with insurers through your attorney.
4. Obtain Your Car Insurance Policy: Car insurance policies typically contain language that explains the process and timeline for filing claims, as well as coverage limits and exclusions. Make sure you provide a copy of your auto policy to your attorney. If you do not have it available, don’t worry. Your attorney can obtain a copy from your insurance carrier.
5. Don’t Settle Too Quickly: Insurers may try to pressure you into accepting a quick settlement prior to you talking with an attorney. Don’t be rushed into making a decision. Take your time and consult with an auto accident litigator before settling. While it is best and very advantageous to hire an attorney immediately following a collision, if you happen not to do so, please set up an appointment and speak to an attorney free of charge at Craven, Hoover & Blazek, P.C. prior to making any decisions.
6. Don’t Talk to Insurance Carriers: Do not speak with insurance representatives without obtaining legal representation first. This will help you to avoid making statements that could later be used against you. Keep in mind that insurers may be trying to find ways to limit the amount of money they’ll have to pay out so in the end make sure you obtain legal representation as soon as possible following a collision.
7. Have Your Attorney Negotiate: Auto accident attorneys are adept and experienced at negotiating with insurers. It is in your best interests to have competent and experienced legal representation for yourself if you are injured in an automobile collision.
8. Have Your Attorney Take Legal Action: Car accident attorneys have the experience and resources necessary to pursue a favorable outcome in court. Given the various laws and complexities involved you should have an attorney on your side.
Speak to an Auto Accident Lawyer in Indianapolis
Dealing with insurance companies after a car accident can be daunting, but by taking the right steps and understanding your rights, you can ensure that your claim is handled fairly. Motor vehicle accident lawyers are available to help guide you through the process and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Contact an Indianapolis auto accident attorney today for more information.
Would you like to learn your eligibility for pursuing legal action against a negligent driver or party that caused you or your loved one to suffer a car accident injury? Contact the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced auto accident lawyer in Indianapolis, Indiana. We represent clients all across the state.
The Indiana Statute of Limitations For Car Accident Lawsuits
Possible Liable Parties in a Self-Driving Car Accident
Understanding Onset of Injuries After a Car Accident