What is a Loss of Consortium Claim?

If your spouse was negligently injured, you may be wondering whether or not you can collect compensation for your own damages and losses related to your spouse’s injuries. In this case, you may be eligible to make a Loss of Consortium claim. Continue reading to learn more about loss of consortium claims, and what you need to know about getting started on your personal injury case.

Personal Injury Attorneys
Indianapolis Personal Injury Attorneys 317-881-2700

Your First Step is to Hire a Lawyer

The laws surrounding loss of consortium claims are highly complex, and they vary among jurisdiction. These variables and more make loss of consortium cases difficult to comprehend on your own. For this reason, it is vital to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney for help navigating the best course of action for making a claim for compensation.

The Meaning of Consortium

Loss of consortium claims are also known as “loss of affection” and “loss of companionship” and “loss of services” claims. In terms of the law, the Dictionary.com definition for “consortium” is, “the legal right of partners in a marriage to companionship and conjugal intercourse with each other: In a wrongful death action, the surviving spouse commonly seeks damages for loss of consortium.”

Who Can Make a Loss of Consortium Claim?

Although loss of consortium claims are often made by spouses, some states allow children and parents to make such claims since they suffer a loss of company, affection or assistance. In Indiana, spouses can make loss of consortium claim.

Your Trusted Accident Lawyers

The first step in establishing your rights to compensation after your loved one is negligently injured or killed in an accident is to hire a seasoned Indiana personal injury law firm. We have the knowledge, skills, and determination to ensure you and your family is compensated for your losses.

Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyers 317-881-2700
Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyers 317-881-2700

Contact the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case. Trust us to protect your right to be compensated for the damages and losses you’ve incurred as a result of loss of consortium. As an added convenience, we do not charge any up front lawyer fees, and do not collect payment unless we recover a settlement for you.