Can I Sue the City after Being Injured in a Pothole Car Accident?

Potholes are a big problem this time of year in Indianapolis. As a result of the annual freeze-thaw cycles, porous pavements crack, crumble, and cave in come Spring. Seasonal pothole damage can lead to unsafe road conditions. Some potholes are so large or obtrusive, they can even cause car accidents. So, who is responsible for repairing city potholes on streets and highways? Furthermore, can victims of pothole car accidents sue the city after being seriously injured?

Continue reading to learn how city potholes are managed, and whether or not a car accident victim can file a lawsuit against the city for pothole repair neglect.

Indianapolis Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys
Indiana Motor Vehicle Accident Attorneys

Pothole Repair for the City

Each district has a government entity responsible for maintaining the roads and walkways. However, there are some cases in which other parties are responsible for road construction repairs, and not a government entity. For this reason, it can be challenging determining who is liable for pothole damage in your town. Additionally, if it is a government entity in charge of pothole repair in the area you were in a car accident, suing them also poses quite the challenge.

Suing the Government for Personal Injury

Although government entities can be sued for personal injuries just like any other entity or person, the differences between the legal processes are substantial. There is a separate set of rules and guidelines to follow when pursuing a claim against a governmental division or body, and these stipulations are strict, unforgiving, and very demanding. Of course, the process of suing a regular person or entity isn’t simple either, however, compared to a governmental lawsuit, the difference in obligations are significant.

For instance, there is a stricter and shorter statute of limitations. In fact, all deadlines are shorter and firmly inflexible. These rules and requirements differ slightly from state to state, but are all equally stringent across the board. In common cases, the statute of limitations is much longer, usually 2 years, and sometimes more. But in government-related lawsuits, the time limit ranges between 30 days to a year. Some victims are not even released from medical care in this amount of time, which is why it is so vital to have a licensed Indianapolis car accident attorney handling your case from day one.

Although government entities can be sued, lawsuits are not always successful. Governmental entities are immune to many types of personal injury cases. They are exempt from the standard rules and guidelines that common society has to follow in such circumstances. This is just one more reason why a personal injury lawyer is so vital to a person’s case. There are so many complex details, differences, exceptions, rules, and more to know and follow in a government-related lawsuit, and a reputable attorney can help define them all.

Pursing Just Compensation After a Car Accident

No matter which type of lawsuit you wish to file, whether against a private driver or the city, it is necessary to hire a personal injury lawyer to recover the full and fair compensation you deserve for your car accident claim. Call the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to learn the best course of action for your recent Indiana car accident injury claim, today. Not only does our law firm offer free consultations, we never collect lawyer fees unless we prevail for you!  We represent injured persons and the surviving loved ones in wrongful death cases throughout Indiana.

Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyers 317-881-2700
Schedule a Free Consultation!