Where Do I File a Personal Injury Complaint?

After being injured in an accident that was caused by another person’s recklessness or negligence, it is likely that you are thinking about pursing a lawsuit. But where you ultimately file your personal injury complaint will depend on certain factors, including the extent of your injuries and the scope of your losses, as well as the person or party you are suing and where your accident took place.

Continue reading to learn the difference between filing an accident lawsuit in Small Claims Court and State Court, and who to trust for reputable Indiana personal injury representation.

Indianapolis Civil Injury Lawyers 317-881-2700
Indianapolis Civil Injury Lawyers 317-881-2700

Personal Injury Filings in Small Claims Court

Following an accident that left you with injuries, you would normally bring your personal injury claim against the at-fault party in Small Claims Court if the total amount of money you are asking as compensation for your damages and losses are on the lower side of the spectrum, or below the state’s s Small Claims Court maximum threshold. Small Claims Court limits are generally set by the state and differ among jurisdictions, but most states establish theirs between $3,000 and $15,000.

Here in Indiana, the limit for Small Claims Court lawsuits is generally $8,000.  Starting on July 31, 2021, the limit will be raised to $10,000.  If your personal injury damages are less than the state’s damage cap for Small Claims Court, you could file your personal injury complaint there, but with the help of your Indianapolis accident lawyer. You can expect Small Claims Court proceedings to turnover much faster, oftentimes being resolved after just one court hearing.

Filing a Personal Injury Complaint in State Court

Personal injury victim would file their complaint in a regular State Court if the amount of compensation they are asking for is above the state’s threshold for Small Claims Court; and you would do so in the designated branch of the state’s civil court system. In either case in filing a personal injury complaint, your first step is to contact a skilled and experienced Indiana personal injury lawyer who can navigate your accident claim every step of the way. With an injury attorney on your case, you don’t have to think about where or how to file a personal injury complaint in the first place.

Are you looking for a seasoned personal injury representation after being hurt in an accident that was not your fault? Contact the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to schedule a free initial consultation with a friendly and experienced Indianapolis accident lawyer. We serve clients throughout the state of Indiana.

You Should Also Read:

Is it Better to Settle an Accident Claim Out of Court in Indiana?
Is There Still Time to File My Indiana Personal Injury Claim?
Am I at Risk of Any Consequences if I File a Personal Injury Claim?

Indianapolis Personal Injury Lawyers 317-881-2700
Schedule a Free Consultation!