Is My Job-Related Injury Covered By Workers’ Compensation?

After being injured in a job-related accident, you might be wondering if you qualify for workers’ compensation benefits. Continue reading to learn what you need to know about collecting workers’ compensation after a workplace injury, including how to recover the maximum benefits for your damages and losses.

Workplace Injury Attorney Indianapolis Indiana 317-881-2700
Workplace Injury Attorney Indianapolis Indiana 317-881-2700

Qualifying for Workers’ Compensation Insurance

Employers are required by law to have sufficient workers’ compensation insurance or be adequately self-insured. Accordingly, the majority of workers are covered by workers compensation insurance, with the exception of crew members on vessels and railroad workers.

Even if a worker is partially or fully at-fault for their accident, they are still covered so long as the accident occurred on the job while performing work-related duties. Job-related accidents that occur off-site are also covered, such as deliveries, business meetings, and job-related teaching or training.

So, whether you are teacher, factory worker, grocery clerk, or doorman, you should be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits if you are injured in a job-related accident. To qualify for workers compensation benefits, you must be a paid employee, not an independent contractor.

Employees Versus Independent Contractors

Independent contractors are quite different than an employee, and the distinctions between them are important to understand when it comes to filing a workers’ compensation claim after being injured on the job. It is critical to speak with a workers’ comp lawyer in Indiana to learn your rights to such benefits before accepting any type of settlement or financial offer.

When considering your eligibility for workers compensation benefits after a job-related injury, you must ask yourself, “am I an employee or an independent contractor?” The answer will determine which type of workers’ compensation insurance coverage, if any, you receive.

There are tests used to determine if a person is an employee or an independent contractor, regardless of what the employer calls that person.

Worker Compensation Case and Third-Party Liability Case at the Same Time

An example of this would be a pizza delivery person injured making a delivery by being rear-ended by another vehicle.  The employee would have both a worker compensation claim and a claim against the person who rear-ended their vehicle.

Are you looking for a skilled Indiana workers’ compensation lawyer for help with your recent job-related accident or injury? Contact the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to get your free case evaluation set up as soon as possible. Speak with an experienced workplace injury attorney over the phone, via online conferencing, or in person at our Indianapolis personal injury law firm.

Related Posts:

Do I Notify OSHA if Injured at Work Due to a Safety Violation?
What to Do After Being Injured in an Industrial Accident in Indiana
Steps to Take After Being Injured in a Ride Share Accident

Local Indianapolis Personal Injury Law Firm 317-881-2700
Schedule a Free Consultation!