Do I Notify OSHA if Injured at Work Due to a Safety Violation?

Regardless of industry, all workers are protected under Federal Law, which requires employers to provide a safe workplace environment that is free of any foreseeable health and safety hazards. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is an organization responsible for enforcing such health and safety regulations in workplace environments here in the United States. Employers, employees, and manufacturers alike are obligated to follow OSHA guidelines for the purpose of supporting safety and wellness in the workplace and prevent serious injuries and fatalities.

If injured at work, it is important to follow certain protocol to protect your rights to being compensated for your damages and loses. The question of contacting OSHA in the case that your injury or accident resulted from an OSHA violation is a common one among the workforce; and the answer depends on how you choose to navigate your workers’ compensation claim.

Continue reading to learn what you need to know about reporting a workplace injury, including when it might be necessary to contact OSHA to file a complaint against your employer.

OSHA Workplace Accident Lawyer Indiana 317-881-2700
OSHA Workplace Accident Lawyer Indiana 317-881-2700

Workplace Accidents and OSHA Violations

Whether injured or not at work, you have the right to speak your mind about any concerns you have regarding the health and safety of your workplace environment. When it comes to contacting OSHA to report a violation or file a complaint, the only time that would be necessary to do this is if no one has been injured or harmed yet. In such case, you would be filing a complaint for the purpose of abating any potential health or safety implications.

The guidelines direct all employees to contact the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) within 8 hours of a workplace accident that results in a fatality. For workplace accidents that require inpatient hospitalization, a loss of an eye, or a form of amputation, employers must notify OSHA within 24 hours. You can contact OSHA to file a complaint, here.

What To Do If You Are Injured at Work

It is common for employers to display Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulation posters throughout the workplace to notify employees of their OSHA obligations and workplace safety rights. These posters will have information regarding workplace safety, OSHA requirements, and instructions for notifying superiors about workplace safety concerns.

If you are injured at work in an accident, the first thing you need to do is contact your supervisor for help. If your supervisor or manager is not available, proceed with emergency medical assistance or contact 911. Once you have received proper medical treatment and have been stabilized by a medical professional, advise your employer and contact in Indianapolis IN workplace injury lawyer to learn your rights to recovering a settlement for your damages and losses.

You Have Rights as an Injured Worker

You never have to fear any sort of vocational retaliation if you decide to file a workers’ compensation claim to recover a settlement for your damages and losses resulting from a workplace accident, nor do you have to worry about being penalized by your place of employment for reporting a health or safety violation to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). An employer is not legally allowed to fire, demote, transfer, or take revenge against an employee who files a report or claim. Furthermore, all filings are confidential.

Have you been injured at work recently and now you would like to learn your rights to pursuing legal action against your place of employment or third-party? Contact the Law Office of Craven, Hoover, and Blazek P.C. at 317-881-2700 to schedule a free case evaluation and discuss the best course of action for your worker’s compensation claim in Indianapolis, Indiana.

You Should Also Enjoy:

How to Bring a Third Party Claim After a Workplace Injury in Indianapolis
FAQS About Work Related Car Accidents
How Do I Know I’m Getting Fair Compensation for Pain and Suffering?

Local Indianapolis Personal Injury Law Firm 317-881-2700
Schedule a Free Consultation!